Making 4G LTE technology matter for your businessHarry Martin
But what, exactly, is 4G LTE? And, more importantly, what are the benefits to your business?
4G LTE, or Long Term Evolution, is the fourth generation of wireless broadband networks, and in the case of Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network, offers:
- Faster data rates and reduced latency, enabling you to connect at speeds faster than typical DSL or cable modem high-speed Internet options so you can do things like conduct real-time security camera monitoring.
- Enhanced user experience with applications like Fuze Meeting, providing a high-definition, rich multiparty video experience that's 10 times faster than 3G. You also can send high-resolution pictures via email or take advantage of Skype's video calling capability to communicate seamlessly with customers and vendors at these same higher speeds.
- Mobility, which means having a reliable, fast Internet connection on the go and being able to do things you could once only do from a wired desktop computer. Imagine the benefit mobility brings to helping you keep that all-important edge on the competition.
- Global adoption, which means in the future, customers will be able to travel from country to country using the same device. More than 130 wireless carriers worldwide have chosen LTE as their 4G technology.
- Breadth of coverage is probably one of the most important factors in determining whether 4G LTE will matter for your business. Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network spans the U.S. and is available in 203 markets, covering more than 200 million people.
With 4G LTE, companies can empower employees to work from the field with the ability to access internal files everywhere, through tools like cloud-based services.
For example, a doctor can use his 4G LTE-enabled tablet, such as the new Galaxy Tab 7.7, to pull up patient charts while walking down the hall with his colleague. Within seconds, he can seamlessly update and save changes to these documents on the hospital's main server. This kind of mobile reliability and power can increase efficiency, organization and productivity.
Professionals also can take advantage of new personal assistant apps for 4G LTE Android smartphones that can schedule meetings, send emails and place calls through voice command. One that I would highly recommend is the SpeakToIt personal assistant. This all-inclusive app was named among the "Top 10 Android Apps of the Year" by the New York Times.
An excellent app for the frequent traveler, Cluzee includes a travel planner to help book hotels and transportation, as well as check flight statuses. Jeannie and Vlingo are also strong alternatives to manage busy schedules with a 4G LTE Android device.
By understanding the needs of your business and exploring all that 4G LTE can potentially offer, businesses can reap many benefits.
To learn more, visit http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/4g-network-verizon-wireless
Harry Martin is director of advanced wireless data for Verizon Wireless for the Philadelphia tri-state region. For more information on apps and smartphones, visit www.verizonwireless.com.